I just updated some of my home Virtual Machine software this weekend. Virtual Box and VMware.
Also last week there were numerous Windows, application and Browser(s) updates.
Somewhere along the line my ability to connect VPN stopped working.
The errors I was getting were:
"Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be un-reachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection."
"Error 609: A device type was specified that does not exit"
"VPN Connection Error 800: Unable to Establish Connection"
I searched long, deep and hard and found all kinds of information but none helped. Until I found one article that suggested my actual ‘devices’ and their listing in the ‘inf’ file(s) may have been removed. So I dug deeper and tried to find the entries for the PptMiniport. And found it. It was however missing on the machine that wasn’t working!
Seems that a bunch of entries in one of the very important ‘inf’ files got ‘wiped’ along with the devices!
So how to easily fix this.
This is how to do it:
Download devcon.exe from some Microsoft site HERE.
Open netrasa.inf in c:\windows\inf (c:\winnt\inf on win2k3) (I used notepad.exe to view the file – "open with")
In the DeviceID column, you can see the installable devices.
Look for the section [Msft.NTx86] You will probably see a bunch of the below listed devices missing – I did!
Open a command prompt (choose ‘Run as administrator’ if on Vista or Windows 7).
Navigate to whatever folder you extracted the devcon.exe file to – example c:\Devcon
Run these commands (one at a time/individually) to install the WAN Miniport (PPTP) and other devices:
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_L2tpMiniport
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PtiMiniport
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_NdisWanIp
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PppoeMiniport
The commands may take a while to complete.
Once done try and connect your VPN again and see if it works. You may have to reboot.
This was one heck of a bugger till I figured it out. I hope some others will benefit from this information.